Since 2004, the activities of the International Summer School and Symposium on Humour and Laughter have been overseen by an Advisory Board made up of past organisers of the event. Normally, an organiser serves on the Board for four years after organising the Humour Summer School, although this term can be extended for an individual by a majority vote of the Board. Additionally, up to three further members can be co-opted by the Board to serve for some specified term. The board considers proposals for hosting the Humour Summer School, advises the local organiser on the programme of speakers and on practical matters, and generally guides the progress of the Humour Summer School from year to year.
The current members of the Advisory Board are:
- Willibald Ruch (Chair, 2001 Organiser, 2002 Organiser)
- Graeme Ritchie (Deputy Treasurer, 2003 Organiser, 2007 Organiser)
- Josiane Boutonnet (Treasurer, 2004 Organiser)
- Tracey Platt (Secretary, 2010 Organiser)
- Liisi Laineste (Deputy Secretary, 2011 Organiser)
- Julia Rayz (2017 Co-organiser)